Tue 25 & Wed 26 Feb 2014
Join The debate
We are encouraging everyone in the Arts and Culture industry to debate and comment on the underlying themes of No Boundaries, and will be using this page to add provocations from as many voices as possible. Our aim is that the conference in February becomes a focal point for these discussions and a stepping stone to influence change and support growth.
If you want to add have your say and present ideas, challenges and solutions, in whatever form you’d like, then let us know by:
News & Debate
What Are the Arts For?
I started my career as a producer for the BBC: producing dramas and documentaries first in radio, then in television. I had the good fortune to work with some of the finest writers and performers in Britain: Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon, Alan Rickman, Jim Broadbent, Simon Callow, Bill Nighy, Nick Bicat, Simon Schama, Peter Barnes, Janet Suzman, Elizabeth Spriggs, the London Chamber Orchestra.
I went on to run four companies: one here in the U.K. and three software companies in the United States.
Back home near Bristol, I now write plays and non-fiction.
This trajectory regularly strikes people as peculiar. I’m frequently asked: am I a businesswoman or an artist? The implication is that I can be one or the other, not both. My interrogators routinely fail to see that there could be any connection between the different parts of my career.
- @ConcernedCraig @jack Be careful! You're, unknowingly, incentivizing censorship and dictartorship that would make d… https://t.co/nFHg3CCbuM20 hours ago
- @ConcernedCraig @jack Who said anything about been illegal? That's common sense. Without it, we are closer to irrationality.20 hours ago
- @ConcernedCraig @jack That would be the same thing if a newspaper didn't allow opinions that are different from the… https://t.co/HA6JcwDlEh1 day ago
- @ConcernedCraig @jack So that's censorship and dictartoship. And it's not free because he has my data and earn a lot of money from it.1 day ago
- @jack That's not up to you to decide. You don't have power to rule, neither authorization to do it. That's subjecti… https://t.co/ocAmbKtyNv1 day ago