Tue 25 & Wed 26 Feb 2014
Join The debate
We are encouraging everyone in the Arts and Culture industry to debate and comment on the underlying themes of No Boundaries, and will be using this page to add provocations from as many voices as possible. Our aim is that the conference in February becomes a focal point for these discussions and a stepping stone to influence change and support growth.
If you want to add have your say and present ideas, challenges and solutions, in whatever form you’d like, then let us know by:
News & Debate
What Are the Arts For?
I started my career as a producer for the BBC: producing dramas and documentaries first in radio, then in television. I had the good fortune to work with some of the finest writers and performers in Britain: Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon, Alan Rickman, Jim Broadbent, Simon Callow, Bill Nighy, Nick Bicat, Simon Schama, Peter Barnes, Janet Suzman, Elizabeth Spriggs, the London Chamber Orchestra.
I went on to run four companies: one here in the U.K. and three software companies in the United States.
Back home near Bristol, I now write plays and non-fiction.
This trajectory regularly strikes people as peculiar. I’m frequently asked: am I a businesswoman or an artist? The implication is that I can be one or the other, not both. My interrogators routinely fail to see that there could be any connection between the different parts of my career.
- @jorgeiggor Corinthians faz isso o campeonato todo e o Carille é gênio e semi-deus. Impressionante a parcialidade de alguns da mídia...10 hours ago
- RT @_Ioen: Galera acho que rezar não tá adiantando muito https://t.co/rNUA7uMMLf1 day ago
- RT @aguinaldaosilva: Começou de novo: flores, velas e preces para os mortos de Barcelona. Os terroristas morrem de rir disso tudo. É a fraq…1 day ago
- @CarlosBolsonaro Quem sofreu agressão foi a gramática hahahah1 day ago
- RT @maathbz: Bolsonaro já tomou cuspida, ja tomou ovada, já foi condenado por responder após ser chamado de estuprador, mas continua sendo…1 day ago